Backround

Monday, April 14, 2014

Divergent Wall Art

If you are a fan of the Divergent books or movie, you will probably like this project.

It started off with an old wall art piece I had that I did not really like any more.  It has been hanging in my room for years and I really wanted to change it.


I started off with some light blue paint and painted around the outer edge of the wall art.


I used a simple sponge brush.  This kept the lines nice and clean . . . no brush marks showing.


Then I taped off the edges and painted the top black.  I had to do a couple of layers to get it nice and dark and cover up all of the bright colors underneath. 


I attached a movie poster to the center with double stick tape.

Then I was able to get my Mom to help me out with creating the images that represent the five Factions in Divergent. . . Abnegation, Candor, Amity, Erudite and Dauntless.  We cut them out of vinyl and applied them above and below the movie poster.


We used blue painter's tape to transfer the vinyl cuts off of the backing and onto the wall art piece.  This helped to keep all of the little pieces for each symbol lined up.  We also used a large ruler to make sure we kept everything straight.


Once the vinyl was stuck to the wall art, we just peeled the blue painter's tape away.


Some of the images were really easy to transfer . . . others that had a LOT of little pieces were harder to do, but we finally got them all on.


And here is how the final project turned out!  I love it!


I am going to enter this in the Anything Goes Vinyl Challenge over at 





No comments:

Post a Comment